Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Family Portrait Layout for Scrap Shotz

Hello everyone! I'm excited to be back again on the Scrap Shotz blog to show you more of the Gingham Farm collection by My Mind's Eye. This time I used a picture of my daughter's artwork. She drew some family portraits and they were so cute, I wanted to make sure I preserved them. I cropped the photographs I took of her artwork and placed them in frames or on journal cards. I realised that the stripped paper looked like wall paper so I decided to hang my pictures on a wall!
Step 1: Fussy cut the flowers.
Here is the paper with the flowers before I cut them out.
Here are the flowers cut out.
Step 2: Add a few pieces of chipboard on top.
Step 3: Crop the photos to fit the following frames. Add journaling cards to make them pop off the background. Add some die cuts and wood pieces. Poke a hole in each frame and add a brad so it looks like the frames are hanging on the wall.
Step 4: Add a border along the top. Use a thin strip of black cardstock to separate the border from the "wallpaper".
Step 5: Add a background rectangle of paper. I really hummed and hawed over whether to add this because I felt that all the black and white might get lost but I didn't want to have an awkward rectangle on my wall. In the end, I wanted some extra colour so I kept it.

Step 6: Add a title. These are Dear Lizzy Thickers that are also available in the Scrap Shotz shop. Just be careful not to bend them too much or the gold gets creases.
Step 7: Play around with the placement of your different pieces. The flowers above are in the brad set. The wood piece was to cover a word on the frame that didn't go with my theme.
Here is the result of moving things around to see how they looked.
Step 8: Add journaling and the date. I always do this. I keep scrapbooks by year so I need to have the date somewhere otherwise I can't remember where it goes.
I felt like the green rectangle looked like it was a bit misplaced so I thought I would do faux stitching with a pen around the border. However, I thought it might be fun to do something different so I used some black embroidery thread to make x's to make it look like the rectangle is part of the wall.
Here is the final layout again:
Aside from my daughter drawing my face with an insane sunburn, I like how it turned out.
Thanks for following along with me! Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment