Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Scrap Shotz Vicki Boutin Color Kaleidoscope Collection

Hello everyone! Carolyn back with some awesome new products from Scrap Shotz! I've been playing with the new Vicki Boutin - Color Kaleidoscope Collection. If you love color, you will love this collection. The colors are rich without being too bright. It also lends itself to mixed media. Especially if you are like me and get a little scared to take the plunge. Some of the "mixing" is done for you in the embellishments and papers.

I have two layouts to show you today. One includes a photo tutorial.

Here is the first layout.
I began by adding lots of water to some white gesso. I used a tissue to swirl it onto the back of the Hearts Paper to tone down the pink colour so my paper strips will pop. I splattered some non-watered gesso around the top of the page. Next, I cut strips out of this rainbow paper. I tried to make them a variety of lengths. I outlined them with a black pen so they would stand out. Then I laid them on the page until I liked the combination of lengths and colours.
I cropped my photos and picked an arrangement for them. I glued all the strips to the page and chose a title.
I used flowers from the Ephemera Die Cut Pack. I moved them around until I liked the arrangement around the photos. I ended up moving them slightly after I glued my photos. I also added a paint brush under my title. I thought it went with my theme of the girls doing their make-up.
Now the final steps. I decided I needed to matte my photos so I used the purple paper that is on the back of the rainbow paper. I only tacked down the center of the photos so the flowers could be slid underneath. I chose some phrases from the Chipboard Stickers and cut them apart in groups of three. The rule of three is something I always try to follow. Especially when I'm having a hard time making my layout look balanced. 
I added some journaling and the date with chipboard stickers. I felt that too many of my splatters were covered so I placed a paper over certain parts of my layout and added splatters. I tucked some grey thread under the flowers. I also saw these butterflies lying on my desk from a previous project. They were the insides of a cut file. I used some yellow paint and a black pen and bent them so they were dimensional. I just glued the centers so I could bend the wings how I wanted. The last touch was to rough-up the strips along the bottom. I felt the top was messy and the bottom was too clean so I ran my fingernail along the edges of the papers and tore them slightly. So here is the final product!
Now for layout #2! I seriously couldn't stop playing with this collection. I had so many ideas, I had piles of different papers and photos all over my desk. I guess I was into angles because my next layout has a diagonal across the bottom like the last one but is still very different.
For this one, use a white piece of cardstock as the base. Tear the Pop Dots Paper on an angle. I always tear so there is a white border showing along the edge. I used some clear gesso on the white paper and let it dry. This helps the paint to absorb less into the paper and you can move it around a bit. Then I dabbed yellow paint on top and splattered a little bit. I matted the photo and used a combination of die cut flowers and fussy cut flowers. I hate wasting die cuts so I cut off the parts that were under my photo and used them along the top border. There are so many fun banners and stickers in this collection, I had to add a whole bunch! Check out these Puffy Stickers!

Thanks so much for stopping by! I hope you enjoy playing with this collection as much as I did. I'll be back on Friday with many more layouts!

No comments:

Post a Comment